Monday, 25 November 2013

Post #6: Obstacles

  A very big and important obstacle in my life so far is to study at Canada. It is a chance, an experience, but an obstacle at the same time. The hardest thing is to speak English all the time, since I don’t really use English back home. It was very hard at the beginning because I could not understand anything at all. I had to stay up late doing homework and memorizing English vocabularies. Beside language, I had to get used to the life style, the weather and the rules here. Unlike home, I need to do and face everything by myself, laundry, cleaning my room, getting sick, feeling sad…  It is impossible that all these things did not change me, it changed me more than I could ever image.  Living and studying in Canada made me a maturer than before because I need to deal with everything by myself, I knew my parents would not be there for me when there were problems. However, I learned to be independent. I met lots of great friends here, from all over the world, everyone of them teach me something I could never get a chance to learn if I was studying back home.
  Growing up is never easy. If I stay in China I wouldn't be able to become whoever I am. We only get to grow up when we experience pain, when we suffer from unfamiliar place, when we feel sad and disappointed. Therefore we get to know the world, get to understand the rules, get to see who we are and get a chance to be a better person.

  Coming to here is a obstacle, but I prefer to consider it as a chance, a chance for me to go through different experiences, a chance for me to grow up, a chance for me to find myself.

3 comments:

  1. Una, I can relate to you very well. It was also difficult for me to leave Germay and come to Canada. I felt the same way you did. The food is different, the weather, the language, the mentality. Everything is so different and at the beginning it is not that easy because one does not even have any friends. I missed my family a lot and often felt alone. I must say that it was also an obstacle for me to come to Canada and change my lifestyle so much. Now, I can understand your point though. We have such an amazing chance here. And I think the obstacle turned out to be something very special for us because we both matured and see things now, that we would not have seen before. I am especially happy that I met so many different people, like for example you from China. As we learned to respect other cultures, we are now able to further develop our own selves, enhance our abilities and broden our horizions for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living abroad and alone out of ones comfort zone is a experience that anyone who has experienced it would say unique. I agree with you that coming to study at Canada is a obstacle and a challenge.But just as you said, this is also a opportunity for us to have a taste of real life. Living without the help of our parents, being able to do things and take responsibility for them. living by oneself may be hard, but it is a decision that i do not regret. And a experience that will be remembered at all times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Una! I think a lot of people, especially in our class, can relate to feeling overwhelmed and out of their comfort zone. I’m happy you value this experience and that you can recognize the impact it has had on you. Although I have travelled and taught in other cultures, I have never studied in another language, so I can only imagine how challenging it must be! Congratulations on a successful year in ENG4U. Good luck with your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete